Monday, September 16, 2013

It's About Forgiveness...

Most Americans can remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news about the horrifying terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. These attacks caused widespread panic, fear, and sadness. Coincidentally, my dad was flying from Philadelphia to San Francisco that day - at the breaking of the news of the attacks, my family had originally thought they said a hijacked plane was from Philadelphia to San Francisco. Luckily, that was not the case - we soon found out the flight was from Newark to San Francisco (Flight 93). Following the attacks, Americans were outraged. Our nation simultaneously crumbled then got significantly stronger in spirit and nationalism within a day or two. An immediate reaction was hatred for the terrorists, al-Qaeda, Osama Bin Laden, and the like. Afterall, they had caused an uproar in our country and cost the lives of thousands of innocent people. Twelve years later, many Americans still feel the sting from that day and from Osama Bin Laden himself. Is it time for forgiveness? After reading Mike Hayes' article, I have gained a new appreciation for what forgiveness really means and believe that we should move towards forgiveness on the topic of Osama Bin Laden. 

Prior to reading the article, I had falsely thought of forgiveness as reconciliation; I had not recognized the difference between the two. I now understand that forgiveness is more of a one-sided means of emotional healing. According to Hayes, forgiveness allows us to move forward from events that have happened in the past with a sense of renewal of self. Also, I had believed that forgiveness was a sign of weakness, and that the actions being forgiven would probably continue to occur. However, the article has given me the crucial insight that justice can and will still be served even if one forgives. Justice may still be served, but we need forgiveness in order to let go of some of the hatred in our lives and the lives of those surrounding us.

I believe we must begin to try to forgive Osama Bin Laden for what he has done, although it may be hard to fathom. Haven't we always been taught by the example of Jesus Christ to "turn the other cheek"? By absolutely no means does the forgiveness justify any of Bin Laden's horrific wrongdoings. However, I think we as a country need to rid ourselves of the outward hatred felt towards him by beginning the process of forgiving him. Pent up anger and hatred may turn to outward actions, and then we would simply be retaliating in the exact same violent way that he had. As a country, we will never obtain reconciliation, but we must strive for forgiveness. As Proverbs 24:29 says, "Do not say, 'I'll do to him as he has done to me: I'll pay that man back for what he did.'" Vengeance is a vicious cycle, often repeated. Matthew 6:14-15 states, "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." As Hayes touches on, forgiveness may be hard but it is a necessary act in order to cleanse the soul. I believe that, granted it will be hard, we are called to forgive Osama Bin Laden for his deadly attacks on September 11, 2001 in order to bring emotional healing to those families and friends directly affected and to the United States as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment